Thursday, October 20, 2011

Team Member - Elicia Richardson-Ellis

Elicia started in Kitten Rescue as a Community Foster in 2008 after TNR’ing (trap-neuter-return) the unfixed cats in her neighborhood.  After placing the kittens she rescued into loving homes she continued volunteering as a fostermom.  Elicia’s motivation to joining Team Kitten Rescue is both exceptional and courageous.  Read her story below!

I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in January of 2011.  I found the lump myself in late December, went in for a biopsy - and had to wait until after the holiday for my diagnosis - Happy New Year!!  Ugh.

Anyway - I elected to have a bi-lateral mastectomy because I am a high-risk patient.  Both my mother and grandmother had breast cancer too.   My mother passed away - but my Grandmother is still alive and kicking at 89 yrs old.  She is my inspiration - and since we have so many common traits (including fat ankles) - I'm sort of hoping that I get to live a long time like her.

Over the last ten months, I've been through 2 surgeries, 6 months of chemotherapy, and 7 weeks of radiation.  I lost all of my hair - and I had GOOD hair.  I also lost both of my beloved kitties - Klaus (also known as Meatus) and Miyage.  They were very old ladies - but I was devastated to lose them.  Without a shadow of a doubt, what got me through all of this is my friends, family - and my husband.  I'll never be able to put into words how grateful I am to every single one of them.

After I had completed my therapies - I was looking for a way to get back into life, into shape, and do something that would challenge me in a good way.  I also knew that I wanted to adopt another kitty.  I saw Leon on the KR website, and reached out to Minoo who was fostering him.  She told me his story, and about how miserable he was in her house because he was getting picked on all the time.  He was so beautiful and mellow - and I knew that he was going to make a big difference in my life - and he definitely has made my life much sweeter!

While I was at Minoo's house meeting Leon, she pitched me on the idea of the marathon.  I was not at all convinced that I could do it- but she assured me that if she could do it (she's a self-professed clutz) - then I could do it.  So, I decided to at least give it a shot because I needed the challenge and the Kitten Rescue fund raising aspect was a real motivation for me.  Since I was out sick for so long, I had not been able to take on fosters - so I figure that this was a good way to give back to Kitten Rescue and make up for time lost.

I'm in the slowest group right now - and will probably take a day and a half to finish the marathon- but I'm doing really well with fundraising and have already surpassed my personal goal of $1,500.00 - and am now at just over $2,000.00

In past years - I've fostered and adopted out about 15 cats and kittens - and have done temporary ISO for many, many more.  I'm thinking about adopting another cat from KR - but it will have to be a very special kitty who will be kind to Leon (he's kind of a whimp) :)
To donate to Elicia’s fundraiser page go to www.crowdrise.com/elicia.

No comments:

Post a Comment